Monday 27 June 2011

Monday Funday


I'm pleased to say I have just finished my tax return and feel like a huge weight has been lifted off me, i really am the worst procrastinator ever - Finally i can get on and enjoy the rest of my Monday and bake!

Anton and I have been having heaps of trouble with Juno lately, she's been in lots of pain and had heaps of gas (you wouldn't believe it was possible in such a small baby!!!). The doctor suggested cutting out dairy products to see if she had some sort of allergy, which we subsequently did. Ever since then things have been much better for her but terrible for me- no cheesy pizza, no yoghurt for breakfast, no milk in my coffee and no baking!

On Saturday afternoon John (our step-father, one marriage removed) had a birthday afternoon tea at his house and his wife Sharon baked heaps of really good looking food and i couldn't taste any of it, which was torturous and depressing...

Following this, I've been on the hunt for some good dairy free recipes that i can bake to help ease my pain and I came across a book which i'm gonna order from Amazon called Vegan Cupcakes take over the world, which has heaps of good sounding cakes in it.

While i wait for my book to arrive I've decided to play around with traditional recipes omitting milk and butter in favour of dairy-free alternatives.

First up is pikelets. My pan is to take Alexa Johnston's recipe from the book 'Ladies, A Plate' and substitute the milk with rice milk and the butter with olivio (an olive oil spread). I usually add a bit of golden syrup but i think i'll leave this out as rice milk tends to be quite sweet. Anyway, i'll let you all know how i get on, wish me luck!

ps: if you're wondering about the pic up top, it's just one i came across on the internet that i really like. I wish we had more diners in New Zealand, especially ones where they serve up big slices of warm pie.... mmmm pie.
source:the Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment